Larva Labs has done a good job of keeping the Slidescreen application up to date with bug fixes, feature enhancements and performance improvements. Version 1.13 continues that tradition with a couple bug fixes and a major battery improvement. I have been using Slidescreen for some time, and I find it a very nice app for general information all in one place. It makes quick views of important data easy.
Since my first review of Slidescreen, Larva Labs has made many changes and updates, including Facebook integration and GPS based weather.
Here’s the details on the 1.13 update:
Version 1.13 has just been released to the market, it’s primarily a release to improve battery life. Here’s the detailed change list:
- New low battery use mode for Google Reader. This is enabled by default, see the setting “Check All Items” for more details.
- Other misc. battery usage reductions. We’re seeing battery use down roughly 30-40% with this version. Will vary depending on your data.
- Bug fixes for update frequencies. In some cases we were ignoring update frequency settings, this also caused some battery problems.
- Bug fix: When removing a service from SlideScreen we were somtimes not refreshing the main screen, so it would still show up. This should be fixed now.
I added the emphasis to the quote. I haven’t really noticed a battery drain with Slidescreen on my CDMA Hero, but what little drain there was seems to be reduced greatly.
Here are a number of improvements since Slidescreen first hit the Android market:
- Facebook! You can now load your Facebook news stream and view entries in the built in reader. Thanks to FBConnect Android (http://code.google.com/p/fbconnect-android/) for the Faceook login support.
- Google Reader upgrades:
- Move between items within the reader. Just swipe the title, or use the volume buttons.
- Automatically mark items as read when viewing them.
- Sync only some labels/folders from your subscriptions.
- Added feed name to title bar.
- Specify account to load subscriptions from, overrides the built in account on your phone.
- Character set fixes.
- Twitter upgrades:
- Load mentions into your timeline.
- Better profile image caching for faster loading/browsing.
- Swipe title or use volume buttons to navigate between tweets in the reader.
- Stocks upgrade:
- Specify account to load portfolio from, overrides the built in account on your phone.
- GPS based weather location. (This is still considered in beta, but it seems to work pretty well)
Remember there are two versions of the Slidescreen app on the market, a free version which is advertisement supported and the pro version which removes the ads for $7 and allows a couple extra tweaks not available to free version users.
Tags: , , , ,